In this paper, a compact reconfigurable bandstop filter suitable for multistandard and multiband mobile terminals is reported. The proposed dual bandstop filter consists of a microstrip line coupled to two switchable Capacitively Loaded Loops (CLLs). We achieve tuning of individual notched frequency bands by using open circuits as switches and incorporated in each CLL element. The performance characteristics in terms of S-parameters and surface currents distribution show that the proposed filter is able to adjust two stopbands independently in a wide tuning range. A corresponding prototype of tunable dual-stopband filter is manufactured, and practical measurement agree well with the simulation results.
2. Al-Yasir, Y. I. A., Y. Tu, M. S. Bakr, N. O. Parchin, A. S. Asharaa, W. A. Mshwat, R. A. Abd- Alhameed, and J. M. Noras, "Design of multi-standard single/tri/quint-wideband asymmetric stepped-impedance resonator filters with adjustable TZs," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 13, 1637-1645, 2019.
3. Tu, Y., Y. I. A. Al-Yasir, N. O. Parchin, A. M. Abdulkhaleq, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "A survey on reconfigurable microstrip filter-antenna integration: Recent developments and challenges," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 8, 1249, 2020.
4. Sam, W. Y. and Z. Zakaria, "A review on reconfigurable integrated filter and antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 63, 263-273, 2015.
5. Li, Y., S. Luo, and W. Yu, "A compact tunable triple stop-band filter based on different defected microstrip structures," ACES Journal, Vol. 33, No. 7, July 2018.
6. Ait Ahmed, B., H. Klaina, O. Aghzout, A. Vazquez Alejos, A. Naghar, and F. Falcone, "Miniaturization, selectivity and rejection bandwidth improvements of a multi-band stopband filter based on circular split ring resonator," 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2019.
7. Saha, C., J.-Y. Siddiqui, A. P. Freundorfer, L. Shaik, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Active reconfigurable ultra-wideband antenna with complementary frequency notched and narrowband response," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 100802-100809, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2997933, 2020.
8. Dakhli, S., M. Smari, J.-M. Floc'h, and F. Choubani, "Microstrip stopband RF filter at microwave frequencies using CLLs elements," International Conference on Advanced Systems and Emergent Technologies, IC ASET, 2020.
9. Islam, H., S. Das, T. Ali, T. Bose, S. Kumari, O. Prakash, and P. Kumar, "Bandstop filter decoupling technique for miniaturized recongurable MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 19060-19071, 2022.
10. Yilong, Z. and D. Yuandan, "Novel dual-band bandpass-to-bandstop filter using shunt PIN switches loaded on the transmission line," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 2020.
11. Guyette, A. C., "Varactor-tuned bandstop filter with tunable centre frequency and bandwidth," IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems, 1-4, Honolulu, 2010.
12. Zhang, N., Z. L. Deng, and F. Sen, "CPW tunable band-stop filter using hybrid resonator and employing RF MEMS capacitors," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 60, No. 8, 2648-2655, 2013.
13. Entesari, K. and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 12-18-GHz three-pole RF MEMS tunable filter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2566-2571, 2005.
14. Yang, G. M., O. Obi, G. Wen, and N. X. Sun, "Design of tunable bandpass filters with ferrite sandwich materials by using a piezoelectric transducer," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 3732-3735, 2011.
15. Kato, A., K. Nakatsuhara, and Y. Hayama, "Switching operation in tunable add-drop multiplexer with si-grating waveguides featuring ferroelectric liquid crystal cladding," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 32, No. 22, 4464-4470, 2014.
16. Ghalem, A., F. Ponchel, D. Remiens, and T. Lasri, "3.8 GHz tunable filter based on ferroelectric interdigitated capacitors," IEEE International Symposium on the Applications of Ferroelectric and Workshop on the Piezoresponse Force Microscopy (ISAF/PFM), 252-256, Prague, 2013.
17. Xiang, Q. Y., Q. Y. Feng, X. G. Huang, and D. H. Jia, "A 2.285-3.195 GHz electrical tunable bandstop filter with constant absolute bandwidth," IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, X'ian, 2014.
18. Arain, S., V. Photos, N. Kashif, Q. Abdul, and S. Nikolaou, "Novel selective feeding scheme integrated with SPDT switches for a recongurable bandpass-to-bandstop filter," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 25233-25244, 2021.
19. Lin, C. C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, January 2012.
20. Al-Yasir, Y., N. O. Parchin, Z.-A. S. A. Rachman, A. Ullah, and R. Abd-Alhameed, "Compact tunable microstrip filter with wide-stopband restriction and wide tuning range for 4G and 5G applications," Proceedings of the IET's Antennas and Propagation Conference, 1-6, Birmingham, UK, November 2019.
21. Chen, F., R. Li, and J. Chen, "Tunable dual-band bandpass-to-bandstop filter using p-i-n diodes and varactors," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 46058-46065, 2018.
22. Ebrahimi, A., T. Baum, J. Scott, and K. Ghorbani, "Continuously tunable dual-mode bandstop filter," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letter, Vol. 28, 419-421, 2018.
23. Asci, C., A. Sadeqi, W. Wang, H. R. Nejad, and S. Sonkusale, "Design and implementation of magnetically-tunable quad-band filter utilizing split-ring resonators at microwave frequencies," Scientific Report, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1050, 2020.