A quad-element reconfigurable radiation pattern Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna is designed for WLAN and 5G applications suitable for indoor wireless communications. Antenna system consists of four radiating elements that operate over triband frequencies 2.4, 3.5 and 5.5 GHz. Moreover, the pattern diversity is obtained by introducing two diagonally crossed slots in the radiator to steer the main beams of the antenna in eight different angular directions using eight PIN diodes. The overall physical dimension of the proposed antenna is about 0.55λ0 × 0.55λ0. In addition, an Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) enclosure is designed, and the performance of the proposed antenna is evaluated. The measurement results show that the proposed antenna has an impedance bandwidth of 4.18%, 14.13%, and 28.5% at the said frequencies, respectively.
2. Al-Gburi, A. J. A., Z. Zakaria, H. Alsariera, M. F. Akbar, I. M. Ibrahim, K. S. Ahmad, S. Ahmad, and S. S. Al-Bawri, "Broadband circular polarised printed antennas for indoor wireless communication systems: A comprehensive review," Micromachines, Vol. 13, No. 7, 1048, 2022.
3. Abdulraheem, Y. I., A. S. Abdullah, H. J. Mohammed, B. Mohammed, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Design of radiation pattern-reconfigurable 60-GHz antenna for 5G applications," Journal of Telecommunications, Vol. 27, No. 2, 7-11, 2017.
4. Rawal, P. and S. Rawat, "A novel S-shaped frequency and pattern reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE, WLAN/Wi-Max application," Microelectronics International, 2022.
5. Lin, W., H. Wong, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Wideband pattern-reconfigurable antenna with a switchable broadside and conical beams," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2638-2641, 2017.
6. Zhao, S., Z. Wang, and Y. Dong, "Pattern-reconfigurable antenna using low-profile electric and magnetic radiators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 22, No. 3, 616-620, 2022.
7. Jin, G., M. Li, D. Liu, and G. Zeng, "A simple four-beam reconfigurable antenna based on monopole," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 30309-30316, 2018.
8. Aboufoul, T., C. Parini, X. Chen, and A. Alomainy, "Pattern-reconfigurable planar circular ultra-wideband monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 10, 4973-4980, 2013.
9. Wang, Z., Y. Ning, and Y. Dong, "Compact shared aperture quasi-Yagi antenna with pattern diversity for 5G-NR applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 7, 4178-4183, 2020.
10. Mohan, R. K. A. and K. G. Padmasine, "A slotted compact four-port truncated ground structured MIMO antenna for sub-6 3.4 GHz 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 122, 267-277, 2022.
11. Thangarasu, D., S. K. Palaniswamy, R. R. Thipparaju, M. S. Alzaidi, S. Kumar, and H. E. Dalia, "Multifunctional twelve port frequency agile diversity antenna for indoor wireless applications," Sci. Rep., Vol. 13, 7979, 2023.
12. Thangarasu, D., S. K. Palaniswamy, and R. Rao Thipparaju, "Quad port multipolarized reconfigurable MIMO antenna for sub 6 GHz applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2023, Article ID 8882866, 17 pages, 2023.
13. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, J. Kishor, and L. Matekovits, "A review on different techniques of mutual coupling reduction between elements of any MIMO antenna. Part 1: DGSs and parasitic structures," Radio Science, Vol. 56, No. 3, 1-25, 2021.
14. Li, K. and Y. Shi, "A pattern reconfigurable MIMO antenna design using characteristic modes," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 43526-43534, 2018.
15. Rhee, C., Y. Kim, T. Park, S.-S. Kwoun, B. Mun, B. Lee, and C. Jung, "Pattern-reconfigurable MIMO antenna for high isolation and low correlation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1373-1376, 2014.
16. Li, H., B. K. Lau, and S. He, "Design of closely packed pattern reconfigurable antenna array for MIMO terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 9, 4891-4896, 2017.
17. Lin, Y.-F., W.-C. Chen, C.-H. Chen, C.-T. Liao, N.-C. Chuang, and H.-M. Chen, "High-gain MIMO dipole antennas with mechanical steerable main beam for 5G small cell," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 1317-1321, 2019.