We designed a dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) that carries orbital angular momentum and has dual-band ultra-wideband characteristics based on the advantage of minor rain decay in L-band and C-band of microwave bands. The cavity of the antenna adopts an inner and outer nested spiral structure, and the material of resonant cavity shell is photosensitive resin. The internal medium is distilled water with a dielectric constant of 81, and the outer filling is saline with a concentration of 0.035 g/ml at room temperature for the dielectric constant. At the bottom of the cavity, we applied 2 feeds with phase difference of 90° to produce a circularly polarized beam in the DRA. Adjusting the size of the DRA and the height of the helical step surface to excite the OAM waves in higher order modes. The designed DRA generates resonance in 0.82-1.63 GHz and 3.35-7.27 GHz, and achieves ultra-wideband in both operating bands, furthermore, the antenna can generate OAM waves in l=±1 and l=±3 modes when operating at 1.51 GHz and 5.28 GHz, respectively. The simulation results match the measured results. The results show that the vortex wave generated by our designed antenna also has advantages such as high mode purity. Therefore, it can be effective in near-field communication and also provides a new solution for OAM near-field communication in 6G which is of great importance, and also for satellite communication and downlink signal transmission of communication satellites.
2. Thide, B., et al., "Utilization of photon orbital angular momentum in the low-frequency radio domain," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 99, No. 8, 087701, 2007 (in English).
3. Wang, Y., X. Sun, and L. Liu, "A concentric array for generating multimode OAM waves," Journal of Communications and Information Networks, Vol. 7, No. 3, 324-332, 2022.
4. Tamburini, F., E. Mari, A. Sponselli, B. Thide, A. Bianchini, and F. Romanato, "Encoding many channels on the same frequency through radio vorticity: First experimental test," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 14, No. 3, 033001, 2012.
5. Yu, Z., L. Shi, and Z. Xin, "Polarization conversion and OAM generation with a single transmitting metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 115, 129-140, 2023.
6. Deng, C. J., W. H. Chen, Z. J. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. H. Feng, "Generation of OAM radio waves using circular vivaldi antenna array," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Art. No. 847859, 2013.
7. Liang, J. and S. Zhang, "Orbital Angular Momentum (OAM) generation by cylinder dielectric resonator antenna for future wireless communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 14, No. 8, 9570-9574, Aug. 2016.
8. Ren, J. and K. W. Leung, "Generation of microwave orbital angular momentum states using hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 112, No. 13, 131103, Mar. 2018.
9. Aayesha, M. B. Q., M. Afzaal, M. Shuaib Qureshi, and J. Gwak, "Ultra-wideband annular ring fed rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for millimeter wave 5G applications," Computers, Materials & Continua, Vol. 71, No. 1, 1331-1348, 2022.
10. Singh, R. P. and P. G. Poonacha, "Survey of techniques for achieving topological diversity," IEEE Communications, 1-5, 2013.
11. Jack, B., M. J. Padgett, and S. Franke-Arnold, "Angular diffraction," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 10, No. 10, 103013, 2008.
12. Yu, Z., Q. Gao, B. He, and L. Guo, "Effects of concentration, temperature and geometry on double spiral liquid orbital angular momentum antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 1-1, 2021.
13. Shen, F., J. Mu, K. Guo, S. Wang, and Z. Guo, "Generation of continuously variable-mode vortex electromagnetic waves with three-dimensional helical antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1091-1095, 2019.
14. Yang, Z., J. Zhou, L. Kang, B. Liu, G. Yang, and X. Shi, "A closed-loop cross-dipole antenna array for wideband OAM communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 12, 2492-2496, 2020.
15. Wu, J., Z. X. Zhang, X. G. Ren, Z. X. Huang, and X. L. Wu, "A broadband electronically mode-reconfigurable orbital angular momentum metasurface antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 1482-1486, 2019.